VAR controversy resolved as Callum Hudson-Odoi stunner rescues point for Nottingham Forest

Burnley were controversially denied a late winner by VAR as Callum Hudson-Odoi scored a stunning second-half equaliser to help Nottingham Forest rescue a 1-1 draw in the Premier League at the City Ground.

Nearly three weeks after scoring the only goal in 1-0 away win over Forest in the EFL Cup second round, Zeki Amdouni haunted the hosts once again with a sweet left-footed strike into the bottom corner to open the scoring shortly before half time.


However, Forest restored parity in marvellous fashion when debutant Hudson-Odoi – who joined from Chelsea on deadline day – whipped a wonderful right-footed strike into the top corner just after the hour mark.


VAR then intervened to disallow a 76th-minute goal from Lyle Foster after Sander Berge was adjudged to have deliberately touched the ball with his left arm before setting up the Clarets striker, who was later sent off for a petulant elbow into the chest of Ryan Yates before both teams eventually settled for a share of the spoils.


What Callum Hudson-Odoi did after Chelsea confirm January plan for Bayer  Leverkusen loan -


A draw for Steve Cooper’s side has seen them climb to eighth in the Premier League table, while Vincent Kompany’s men remain in the relegation zone and are still searching for their first top-flight win since securing promotion last season.


There was little to separate the two teams in terms of possession, but Forest were certainly asking more questions in the final third during the first 25 minutes, with Hudson-Odoi in particular looking a constant threat on the counter-attack along with Taiwo Awoniyi and Morgan Gibbs-White.

However, Burnley gradually grew into the game and they came close to opening the scoring 28 minutes in when Amdouni found space on the edge of the area and fired a low-driven shot towards the bottom corner, only for Matt Turner to make an excellent diving save to his right.

Amdouni has no problems picking out the same corner four minutes before the break, though, with the Swiss summer signing rifling a smart left-footed finish hard and low into the net following a bursting run and impressive cut-back from the byline by lively teenager Luca Kolesoho.


Callum Hudson-Odoi scores brilliant debut goal to earn Forest draw with  Burnley | The Independent



Burnley picked up from where they left off after the break and were not too far away from adding a second when Charlie Taylor fired a volley narrowly wide following a corner.

Forest were lacking a cutting edge in the final third until Hudson-Odoi produced a moment of magic in the 61st minute, shifting the ball inside from the left and curling a wonderful strike in off the right-hand post to restore parity for the hosts – his first Premier League goal for nearly two years.

Burnley thought they had regained the lead 15 minutes later when substitute Berge drove into the penalty area and set up Foster for a simple tap-in from close range, but on-field referee Robert Jones decided to disallow the goal for a dubious handball following a recommended VAR review.

Foster’s night went from bad to worse when he was given his marching orders in second-half stoppage time for a needless elbow into Yates’s chest whilst tussling inside the penalty area during a set-piece, and Burnley eventually had to settle for just a point at the City Ground.


Forest will now turn their attention to the daunting task of facing reigning champions Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, while Burnley will look to claim their first win of the season when they welcome an out-of-sorts Manchester United side to Turf Moor.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.