Newcastle United are plotting a January swoop for Man City outcast Kalvin Phillips, sources have told Football Insider.
Football Insider revealed on Friday (20 October) that the Magpies are set to enter the market for a defensive midfielder signing in January as they brace for Sandro Tonali to be banned.
Newcastle confirmed on Wednesday (18 October) that Tonali, 23, is the subject of an investigation by the Italian Prosecutor’s Office and Italian Football Federation (FIGC) in relation to “illegal betting activity”.
The Tyneside club have admired Phillips for a long time and nearly signed him last year while he was still a Leeds United player.
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that the England international would “fit the bill” for Eddie Howe’s side as they search for a new midfield option in the mid-season window.
Phillips has made just five club appearances totalling 167 minutes of action in the 2023-24 campaign.
Football Insider revealed last week (13 October) that he is looking more and more likely to leave Man City in 2024.
Phillips cost the treble-winners a reported £45million when they signed him from Leeds United last summer (2022).
However, he has failed to gain the full trust of manager Pep Guardiola since arriving at the Etihad Stadium.
The combative midfielder has played just 760 minutes of action in total during his time with Man City.
Nevertheless, he remains a regular in Gareth Southgate’s England squad and will be keen to increase his first-team minutes ahead of the European Championships in Germany next year.
Phillips’ contract at City runs until June 2028.
Newcastle, who sit eighth in the Premier League, are in action against Crystal Palace on Saturday (21 October).
Howe has confirmed Tonali is available for selection as the club wait for the outcome of the investigation into his alleged offences.
In other news, Newcastle set for £7million blow.